The process for applying for a marriage certificate in Tamil Nadu, both online and offline. The marriage certificate serves as a legal declaration that two people have tied the knot. Marriages in India may be registered under the Special Marriage Act of 1954 or the Hindu Marriage Act of 1955. In order to safeguard women,
How to Apply for a Marriage Certificate in Tamil Nadu
The Supreme Court mandated that marriages be registered in 2006. It is the most important document of a marriage and serves as legal confirmation that you are married. To obtain a passport, visa, bank account, etc., it is crucial.
Benefits of the Tamilnadu marriage certificate application process both online and offline
- After being married, a marriage certificate is necessary to establish a bank account or apply for a passport.
- Quite helpful in acquiring visas for the couple
- When an insured person or depositor passes away without leaving a beneficiary, a marriage certificate allows the surviving spouse to recover their life insurance proceeds or bank savings.
- The Marriage Certificate is necessary for the couple to go abroad using a spouse visa because foreign embassies in India and other nations do not recognise traditional marriages. Means are necessary for the pair.
In Tamil Nadu, the following requirements must be met in order to apply online or offline for a marriage certificate:
- The bridegroom must be at least 21 years old.
- Bride must be at least 18 years old.
- If an applicant wants a certificate from Tamilnadu, they must have permanent residency there; otherwise, they will receive a marriage certificate from the state where they now reside.
Documents needed for the Tamil Nadu marriage certificate application process, both online and offline
- Application form with all required fields filled up and signed by both spouses
- Proof of Address: Voter ID, Ration Card, Passport, Driver’s Licence
- two passport-size photos
- 1 picture of the wedding
- Separate husband and wife Aadhar cards from the marriage affidavits in the specified manner. All papers must be self-attested.
- Bridegrooms and bride six coordinated photos replicas with a blue or white background
- To demonstrate their participation in the ceremony, the groom and bride must provide two copies of their photographs taken while wearing their wedding attire.
- One copy of a wedding card
- Identity documentation for the bride and groom (passport, PAN card, voter ID card, etc.).
- Proof of the husband’s address, such as a lease agreement or ration card, a driver’s licence, or a passport.
- Age verification for the bride and groom (passport or 10th grade mark sheet with birthdate).
- If the bride’s name was altered after the marriage, an affidavit is necessary.
- The newspaper where the story about the name change appeared
- Date of wedding
- venue of the wedding
- If any, the person’s name and address who solemnised the marriage
- Place of the marriage ceremony, including the Village, Taluka, and District, along with the entire address
- Details of 3 witnesses
Procedure for Offline Applications:
- Both of the aforementioned links, http://www.tnreginet.net/pdf/Public_Utility_Forms_full/appln3.pdf and http://cms.tn.gov.in/sites/default/files/forms/Comp_Marriage_Forms_Eng_7_0.pdf, allow applicants to download applications.
- Complete the marriage licence application.
- Send the completed form to the local sub-registrar office for which you have address verification.
- Within one month after the day of marriage, the couple must appear before the Registrar with their parents, legal guardians, or other witnesses.
- Each and every witness must sign in front of the registrar.
Online Application procedure:
If your marriage has already been registered, you can apply for your marriage certificate online by selecting the button below: http://www.tnreginet.net/english/smar.asp
By clicking that link, you may download the marriage certificate and provide the relevant information.
- Application fees vary from state to state but it remains between Rs. 100 to Rs. 200
- Applicant can visit nearer Registrar or Sub-Registrar office